The 1.0 version of Raven has just been released and we have already received our "Daily WTF" (a blog we read) feedback via Cobalto:
Note the the "Beta" stamp on the splash screen. Time to startup Photoshop (or GIMP).
The first non-beta version of Raven 1.0 is now available for download. A big thank you goes to the Raven user community for reporting defects and sending us valuable feedback. Some users have gone to the extent of giving us access to their servers to test Raven.
The formal press release can be found here. We think Raven is one of the first WSYIWYG blog editors designed to be portable. (We do want to mention that the editor we used before Zoundry made an editor - wBloggar - can also be run on a USB stick. wBloggar is not a true WYSIWYG blog editor). When installed as a portable application, Raven stores all of the downloaded blog content, drafts, thumbnails, clipboard copy/paste content in the USB drive. Any resources referenced on the primary hard drive (e.g. images in the C:/ drive) will be automatically copied to your profile in the portable USB drive.
It took us a while to get to the 1.0 version as we wanted to resolve as many issues as we could before releasing it. There are still a few known issues still unresolved.
- Embedding video links - To add video (youtube.com, google video, ifilm, photobucket, piratr, slide, veoh, and vsocial), all you have to do is drag and drop the youtube.com link into the editor, or if you already have a link to a video site in the editor, then right click on the link and choose "Link -> Create Embed Content".
The issue related to a video embed is that it is not properly rendered in the editor (it is OK in preview mode). The video embed (in the editor) may remain blank until you either grab it and move it around or double click on it.
- Diacritic marks when entered as entities are converted to Unicode characters.
- Font settings user interface supports only fixed font size units (px). Relative font size units such as em and percentage can be entered via xhtml editor.
- Image and attachment links to UNC paths do not render correctly and are not uploaded when posting.
- HTTP Proxy supports only BASIC authentication. ISA server specific (windows logon) schemes are not supported.
- UPDATE: The Splash screen and About page image still "thinks" its a beta. Oh well!
If you plan to install Raven on a USB stick (pen drive), then please make sure to check the "Portable Application" check box shown in the install wizard. You can read more about this here.
WordPress 2.6 :
WordPress 2.6 users must have the XML-RPC Remote Publishing enabled to use Raven.
Labels: download, portable, raven, raven2go, releaseNotes